DIY Thursday: Instant Oatmeal !!

As the weather turns, it is time to think of yummy "comfort foods" like hot oatmeal in the morning. Yum!

This is something I have shared at Tupperware parties for almost 20 years now... it is SO easy and comes out to being a lot less expensive as well as having less preservatives/chemicals to feed your family.

Talk about a win-win!

Let's tackle the cost first:
It usually runs about $.30 a packet for most brands, with their 8 count box. You can see how my canister (for the same price as a box) makes a lot more than 8 packets. I can make it for under a dime each.

Now, let me show you how easy it is!

I know people make this and use "zippy bags" to keep it in but I don't. I really hate all those extra baggies in a landfill AND they simply do not stack nicely for storage when they are full. I use Tupperware Hamburger Keepers.
Now, like I said, it is SUPER easy to make!
Take 3 cups oatmeal, process 1 cup at a time in a food processor.

Can you see the difference?


Into each container I put 1/4 cup regular oatmeal
 and then 2 Tablespoons of the powdered oatmeal you just made.
That powder helps make it "thicker" when you cook it.
Also add 1/8 teaspoon salt. (It can be left out but does make a difference in the final product). 
Done.
I told you it was simple!
At this point, I simply stack them together and pop into the cupboard.
To cook it - you simply dump it into your microwavable bowl with 3/4 cup water and zap 2 minutes. You could add 3/4 cup BOILING water and just let it sit for 2 minutes too - if you don't have a microwave.

Now - let's make a little variety...

Sweetened Oatmeal : Add 1 Tablespoon Sugar to each container

Apple-Cinnamon: Add 1 Tablespoon Sugar, 1/4 Teaspoon cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons chopped, dried apples

Cinnamon-Spice: Add 1 Tablespoon Sugar, 1/4 Teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg

Raisins and Brown Sugar: Add 1 Tablespoon Raisins and 1 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Wheat Germ: Add 2 Tablespoons Wheat Germ

We go for the Cinnamon-Spice so it looks like this:
I usually get 28-30 "packets" out of a large oatmeal can -- so my cost is about $.07 each.
Compared to $.30 each, it's a huge savings!
One canister saves me almost $7.00
 
That is really delicious to me!
:)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!