Happy Memorial Day

One of the hard things to do when you are saving money, is to ignore the great sales specials that they have, especially in a tight economy when they are trying to at least just move the merchandise out of the store! 20%-75% off sales on everything from clothes to small household appliances...this can be very tempting!


Here's the deal: I am ELIMINATING stuff from our house and freeing us from clutter! As I go through our house, room by room, shelf by shelf, I am either adding it to the Garage Sale pile or the weekly Frecycle box that I post and gift to someone else. *IF* there is anything that I REALLY need, I keep an eye on Freecycle for that to be posted as an offer from someone - or put it on the Garage Sale list...so we hunt for it while we are out and about. This way I get it free for for just a few pennies instead of brand new and at close to retail prices.

I DO wish that the retailers could leave this holiday alone for it's true meaning...it's to remember those that have fallen while serving our country -- not about keeping the malls open. Just thinking about the people in our family that will never come back...Long time military family here every generation back to the Civil War-- even I served. I was in the USAR and am a Desert Storm Veteran.

My great uncles were both lost in WWII. One was stationed at the US Embassy in Peiping China with his wife when it was taken by the Japanese. He died as a POW in a camp and she ended up somewhere in Siberia...never to be seen again. - They looked like a Hollywood couple in the few pictures we have...she was drop dead gorgeous!

Another Uncle actually died between wars - he was on a ship that tested bombs over the ocean. They told the soldiers just to turn their back to it -- and the heat of the bombs burned the clothes right off the men - they ALL died from Cancer and radiation sickness...

My two brothers were the last of the family casualties ... their diseases were from Dad's exposure to Agent Orange. One brother passed when he was VERY young and now my sweet Chris has been dealing with his disease and brain tumor...
Please take a moment to remember and be thankful to our service people. Maybe get out and see a parade this morning - and clap very loudly for those veterans marching down the street.
 
Happy Memorial Day to those who have given so much for us, and the families they left behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!