Garage Sales

I usually am the queen of garage sales in the summer - scoring great deals on kids clothing and toys, new books, kitchen gadgets and household treasures. This year I have stayed pretty much out of the game.

One thing you don't really do when you are trying to downsize what you have to pack, is bring more stuff home.

This also saves money - not a whole lot as I never spent more than $100 a month (over the 5 month season) while bargain hunting, but it all adds up. I MIGHT have spent about $40 this year, a savings of over $450!

Today, my tupper mobile automatically pulled over at the sale of all sales: everyone at an apartment complex had stuff out in their joint parking lot! I don't feel too bad about it as it *IS* our town's city wide sale this weekend and it is the only place I stopped...

I only spent $6 - but here is what I got:

-A fake 3' tall potted plant (my less cluttered living room needed a "fill" for a corner and I wasn't going to pay the $60 I had seen on them at stores! $1 was a STEAL!

-A butterfly comforter for her "big girl bed" with 3 matching pillow shams.

-A box of beads for her art cart

-4 Disney VHS tapes that we didn't have: Mulan, Chicken Run, El Dorado and Little Nemo (They were 4/$1 !!)

-A a COOL art deco wall mirror that will probably get painted white...I already have an idea running thru my head - lookout!

-A few books like Gymboree Toddler Play and 365 Things to do on a Saturday
-A bunch of Simple & Delicious magazines (3 years worth of yummy ideas!)

-Another year/edition of Brain Quest that we didn't have (still need 3rd Grade!)These are great for car rides and when you are at a restaurant, waiting for your food to come.

-A money learning game called Loose Change (remember me saying my teacher friends said that kids understanding money, going into first grade, had an easy time with math? This is for my educational arsenal.

I think that covers it -- but you can tell that I got pretty decent prices if all of that was under a ten spot! Just check out the beautiful detail on the mirror!
I think she had tried to make it silver, didn't mask it off before painting and got tired of scraping it off the mirror. Lucky for me and my $.50! I already used a little nail polish remover and a handy dandy Tupperware citrus peeler on it for some great results - a flat razor blade should work perfectly. The center is a mirror and so is the outer ring!

I have a vision for my new office/scrap space - this should fit in perfectly!

Did you score anything great the last few weeks at a sale? An amazing deal that you walked away with? Share!

Until then, I am going to start pouring over those magazines and seeing what might be new for dinner next week!
=)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!