Back to School

It's that time of year...the kiddos are going back to school. I was just outside of Walmart and saw that they had Mum plants for just $1 and I was hit by some inspiration for a teacher gift for the first day.

On the Scrapfreak message boards someone had shared a link to a neat project where someone used colored pencils to dress up a vase for a floral bouquet. It was all pastel-ly and cute.
=)
I tweaked it a bit:
-Instead of a vase, I used an empty Quaker oatmeal container.
-Instead of colored pencils, I used yellow #2 pencils.

All I needed to do was glue the pencils around the container - right? This turned out to be a little trickier than I thought it would be. The container wouldn't lay correctly because the pencil weighted side kept making it roll over. If I stood it up, the pencils fell off. You can benefit from my simple errors, LOL! Once I figured out this little trick, things went MUCH smoother.

Rubber bands.


That's right, I put several rubber bands around the container. I glued the container around them and simply slid the pencils in place, under them. Easy-Peasy!I did run some glue around the inside rim of the container to make it a bit sturdier and then, after the pencils dried, I tied on the ribbon, tucked some tissue in and then added the plant. Here is the finished product.

Cost break down:
**Oatmeal bucket - FREE (I did have to make Granola so I would have two...)
**Glue - $.10
**Ribbon - $1
**Plant - $1

So there you have it - non "apple" themed gifts for her teachers and both cost me less than $5. What have you got up your sleeve?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!