90.5 % Average

The year is officially over and it's time for a quick reality check on my savings percentage!

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of my shopping since March first (when I started this mission) of all items purchased for pet care, personal care and food items that fall under my $100 a month budget.

In 10 months, I bought $7,835.52 in merchandise for $741.11 after coupons.

When you do the quick math, I averaged a savings of 90.54% at the stores.

OK, this is pretty cool and, would qualify to make me an "extreme couponer". I simply broke my transactions down over the year instead of doing it in one lump shot like they showed on the latest show we talked about a few days ago.
=)

What I bought and paid for it is really only part of the story...the real savings should show the average $400 we spent on eating out a month before this venture began. That adds another $4,000 to the before total!

That was $4,000 a year, going to a restaurant or fact food joint instead of staying in our pockets. $4,000 of unhealthy food, huge portions and overall waste of money.

If you factor that $4,000 in, I saved 93.7% over our previous spending habits!

Right there, it shows you how I put at least $10,000 in the bank this year between what we didn't give the restaurants and what we saved at the store. That simple change resulted in a strong payoff! Seriously, it is one fourth of my savings goal, met by that simple change.

If I can do it, so can you! It's really as easy as 1 - 2 - 3

1) I started by tracking our expenses and saw the black holes that were swallowing our money.
2) I made a monthly budget.
3) I put my plan into action and y'all have helped me be accountable!

It really is that simple!!!

I challenge you to look at the new year as a chance to make a resolution that matters. Make it about how you handle your finances - do you know where your money is going? Are you able to live on less than your means so you can put some of the new surplus away into paying off debt, building your emergency fund, plugging your retirement account or that college fund for the kiddos?

Here's to a profitable 2011 for you - may you save all that you hope to.
Blessings -

Dannelle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!