DIY: Clothing Repair


It's no secret that prices are jumping right now - the futures market predicted it due to the massive floods and cold snaps in the south this winter.

They were right, things are creeping up. (Grrr....)

Cotton was one of those things- and this effects the textile buisness. I haven't made a dress for Ms Sarah in ages as the fabric is too expensive! I can buy a NEW dress, off the rack, at a sale price for MUCH less than I could make one. (But I am queen of the garage sales instead, LOL)

Dear Hubby's pants were too long in the back, a fact that I didn't catch until he was kneeling for communion at church and I saw the frayed hem that had been getting walked on.He told me he knew he needed NEW pants, and I informed him that it wasn't so - we just needed a quick mending job!

Since the pants were too long, I knew they could to up an inch and hide that nasty edge. I turned the pants inside out and flipped the hem up - using the original "cuff" line as my guide.Then, I got out some thread and started a simple, small stitch - where I got about 5 stitches to the inchI was careful to barely show through on the "front" of the pants, as you can see. There is a hint of dimpling from the hemline, but it's almost invisible, compared to the machine stitched hem he used to have.Work all the way around the pant leg, get a little creative when you get to the spot that was worn through, and tie off your extra thread.

There. Pants look almost new again, fit better, and we didn't have to buy a new pair! I can hardly wait to see the back of his pants NEXT Sunday, when they are flipped up for God and everyone to see.
=)

What have you repaired lately?

Comments

  1. I've noticed that about cotton too. I wanted some cotton yarn for a knitting project, and it was prohibitively expensive. So I learned how to recycle yarn thanks to another blog. I pulled the yarn out of an old sweater and made a new one. then I went to the thrift store and bought 2 cotton sweaters to take apart and make new cotton sweaters out of for a fraction of what I could purchase the yarn for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!