One New Washer!

As a Tupperware Trainer, I often cover different subjects: I trained on short term and long term goals the other day...and used a washing machine as an example. $600, break it down into parties, yadda - yadda - yadda.

My washer died yesterday, it was 15 years old and the center physically fell out of the bottom, LOL!

Guess how much my new one just cost?

$597.

SCARY that I pulled an example out of the air and it was that friggin' close!

What did we do? Dug out the Consumer Reports Book and went shopping. The Hubster was in charge and did a GREAT job!

We put it on plastic - to earn more credits for free restaurant gift cards...and I will pay it next month - as I was still focused on my $40K mission and didn't want to take that chunk out of my savings this month.

We ARE getting a $100 credit on my utilities as it earned an energy star rebate and will get a $25 restaurant gift card off the plastic with the points we earned...so my $600 washer is really more like $475.

It changes up my stockpile a bit too - as it is a HE washer, instead of the basic one we used to have. HE --> High Efficiency model.
These washers use 20 to 66 percent less water than traditional agitator washers. Less water means less water to heat and energy use can be 20 to 50 percent less offering long-term savings and environmental benefits.

HE washers use a tumbling system rather than an agitator. In front-loading models the tub rotates clockwise and then counterclockwise to achieve the tumbling motion. In top-loading machines clothes are cleaned in a shallow pool of water and the washer uses a gentle spinning or rotating plates or disks to achieve the tumbling action. Both machines spray clothes using re-circulated water during the rinse cycle.

Clothes may seem dryer when removed from an HE machine because more water is removed. This will save energy during the drying cycle!

I had more than five bottles of detergent in my stockpile and can't use it...but DID get a recipe from Casie (thank you!) for home made HE detergent that I can't wait to try!

HE Detergent
1/2 cup of Borax
1/2 cup of washing soda (NOT baking soda)
1 bar of fels naptha chopped.
Put it all in a food processor and pulse until fine.
**Use one Tablespoon per load.

I also use plain white ...vinegar in the rinse instead of fabric softener.

Comments

  1. I'm very interested in trying this. What is & where do you find "washing soda" and "fels naptha"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I just won 10 swagbucks for searching the word "fels naptha"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna... I found it all in the laundry section of the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!