Meal Plan Monday

It's the beginning of a new week!

In my coupon class, I teach people how to save money at the stores. That is half of the equation for saving money on food, meal planning is the other half to it.

You have to USE the food you have brought home and not let yourself make the "fast food run" - those add up fast and kill your budget!

Meal planning also saves you time - no more getting home and playing "open up the cupboard doors, what falls out is for dinner" game. You KNOW what you are going to make/eat and have the recipes and ingredients handy. THIS saves you both time and money, two great things!

This is the first week of my All You Magazine Grocery Challenge!! I can spend up to $75 a week (no more) and will share what we are actually eating. I get judged on budget (50%), creativity (25%) and how healthy (25%).

I have a fairly well stocked house -- and a weekend wedding in the mix that is out of town. THAT will be my biggest challenge! I know the hotel we are staying at has FREE hot breakfast and that we have FREE meals 3 of the 4 days, thanks to the wedding festivities...so we will be creative this week. I plan on packing granola packs, Crystal Light to add to water, and 1-2 other things from the stockpile. That should help us on the plane and during "down time".  We are also by a Super Target store and can grab milk, etc as our rooms have a fridge and microwave.
:)

I also hope to go strawberry picking this week!
They are talking Tuesday or Thursday, I hope it's Tuesday as we fly out on Thursday and I want to make jam on Wednesday! I have a little rhubarb left to make strawberry rhubarb jam, and then plain old strawberry jam. Remember, I can make a jar of jam for under $1 (I have to buy the strawberries) and it has no high fructose corn syrup or artificial colors,etc. It IS $2.75/#, which is way over my price point, but they are organic fresh berries and they don't charge you for what you eat while you pick, LOL! I know I can fill a Thatsa Megga Tupperware bowl and it comes to roughly 7# ($20). If we can't go this week - it will be NEXT week.

Here goes week number ones plan: Any time you see ** it means it was something pulled out of the freezer.

Here is the list:

Breakfast will include:
- fruit crepes (strawberry and banana, most likely)
- fresh fruit (grapes and melon)
- Emerald Breakfast To Go Granola/Nut packs
- Mini Quiche Cups (egg, cheese, chives, diced bacon)**
- boxed cereal (might as well, we have 30 boxes in stock!)

Lunches as normal (sandwiches, soup, left overs, tappas plates) and for dinner...

Sunday: Grilled pork tenderloin, green beans, rice pilaf
Monday : Creamed Chipped Beef over toast points, glazed baby carrots
Tuesday - Turkey Chili, fruit salad
Wednesday - Fridge Clean Out **Grocery Shopping!
Thursday - Free Hot Dinner at the hotel (it could be burgers, pasta or pizza)
Friday - Rehearsal Dinner (no clue on the menu)
Saturday - Wedding Reception (no clue on the menu)

What do I plan to get at the store on Wednesday?
2 gallons Milk, Eggs, 20 Crystal Light, artichokes, turkey bacon, Split chicken breasts, Cookies. I have to break it down into 4 transactions but will stick mainly to those items, using free milk and egg vouchers, my last Wags RR and a LOT of Crystal Light coupons!
What are you going to feed YOUR family this week?

Comments

  1. Hello there! Our strawberries are in their prime right now too and it is HOT outside (90s today). I will take the fresh berries, rinse, hull, let drain a little bit and then throw them in quart bags to make jam in the fall when it gets cooler. I have been doing this for years. It turns out great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!