Tossed Taco Salad

I had this at a pot lock once and fell in love with it!

SO easy to make, a complete meal in a plate and great for hot or cold days.
:)

I keep the dressing on hand, hamburger gravel in the freezer and make my own taco seasoning - so this can be a quick one to whip up!

Here is what you need:
1 head lettuce
1 lb. hamburger
8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 chopped onion
1-2 med. tomatoes, chopped (we do only 1 Roma as we have only 1 tomato eater)
1 pkg. Doritos or some other nacho chips
1 pkg. taco seasoning (reserve 1 tbsp.)

DRESSING:
8 oz. 1,000 Island dressing
2 tbsp. sugar (or substitute)
1 tbsp. taco seasoning (saved from making the meat)
1 tbsp. taco sauce (got a packet left over from the drive thru?)

Brown hamburger and drain off fat or pull out 2 Cups of "hamburger gravel" from your freezer like I did). Add taco seasoning (remember to reserve 1 tablespoon for dressing). Let meat cool. Layer lettuce, hamburger, cheese, beans, onion and tomatoes in a large container.
Put cheese on top and refrigerate 24 hours.

For the Dressing:
Mix 1,000 Island dressing, sugar, taco seasoning and taco sauce. Refrigerate until serving time.

Just before serving: Crush chips (not too small). Add chips and dressing to layered salad and toss.

What I have found is that I make the layered salad in 2-3 portions and it can make 2-3 meals that way -- they can be tossed at each meal so that chips don't get soft and lettuce stays crisper.

This can be SO frugal when you take most of it from your stockpile!
  • My meat and cheese were from the freezer.
  • My beans, onion and dressing were from the shelves.
  • I made my taco seasoning.
  • The chips were left overs from an appetizer last week.
  • I only bought lettuce and one tomato! (you will see my Sentry trip later).
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Dannelle, can you post your homemade taco seasoning recipe again please? I think you've done it before but I can't find the post. I'd love to try it.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make a modified version tonight...meat, from the freezer, beans, tomatoes (can), olives and taco seasoning from the pantry. Skipping the lettuce. Leftover chips in the pantry and shredded cheese from the fridge. No 1000 island dressing...but I'll make due with what I have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!