DIY Thursday - Packing For a Trip

Yes, I am one of those crazy people.

(But you know that, if you have been following for a while). 
I like to be fully packed almost a week before a trip
 instead of being like my husband who tosses things into a bag the day before he leaves.
Now, I never seem to find myself out shopping for an item that I forget to pack,
but remember a few trips with him...

You see a picture of Miss Sarah's suitcase for our 10 day Disney trek.
In the top, we have the 3 pairs of shoes - each stuffed with either socks,
sunglasses or her jewelry for the trip, her swimsuit, goggles and nightgown too.
In the bottom are her outfits, and bedtime stuff
(bible, chapter book, glow bracelets, night light and sound machine).
Her outfits are individually bagged and complete -
from undies to hair accessories.
Even the Princess Outfit she plans to wear to Epcot is bagged.

I do this for a few reasons:

Bed Bugs.
I have posted on the epidemic before and ALWAYS check www.bedbugregistry.com 
 but like to do this...just in case.
No worries here!
You can take all the clothes out of the suit case and pop right into a dresser drawer
and no little creepy crawly will get into them.

Speed.
Everything is fully assembled and it shaves some of that "what should I wear" time off.
The bags are clear so it's easy to pick an outfit.

Dirty Clothes do NOT go back into their bag, but into the suitcase.
(I simply dump it out in the laundry area when we get home).
The bags go in the outer suitcase pocket and are reused for the next trip!

I like to plan 2 "bonus" bags of clothes as you never know exactly what they weather may be like. It can be nice to have a warmer outfit, dry clothes, something clean if you get dirty early in the day, etc.

My stuff looks almost exactly like that.
For Dressier outfits I pack ONE black skirt and 3-4 tops that fit 2 to a bag.
They are designed to travel and never have to be ironed.
One pair of flats, one pair of tennis, one pair of flip flops.
2 pairs shorts, 4 T-shirts, jammies and I wear the jeans on the road.
Add the Dopp kit and undies, a few books and hair stuff - again in it's their own bag.
There is nothing worse than having a great packed suitcase and a
bottle of shampoo or conditioner opening up and nailing it all...
Trust me: baggies are your friend!

Comments

  1. Okay, okay, I learned this the HARD way. Per the bedbug suggestions, it's best if you keep the suitcases in the bathroom, ideally in the bathtub and DEFINITELY (!!!) don't dump it out when you get home. Leave it in the garage until you've washed and DRIED even single solitary item in it. Ziplock everything because bedbugs hide in books and shoes too. Don't bring the suitcase inside until you've steamed it.

    **steps down from soapbox while shuddering and itching**

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!