From Hot Coupon World

I just thought I would share this newsletter I got as it was full of some great info and ideas - enjoy!

Happy Tuesday!

One of the common questions I get asked both on and off site is, "What are you buying this week?" It's a little bit strange because it's not the typical, "What's for dinner?" question you'd normally get asked. What I'm buying has a whole other implication than what we're eating. So, this week, I'll share what I'm buying and why.

During my shopping trips over the next few days, I'll be chasing deals on marinades and zipseal bags. Why? Some of the best condiment sales will be happening this week and next. I'll be able to stock up on brands l like, Sweet Baby Ray's and Lawry's to name a few, for less than $1 per bottle. This is the time of year I make the big push to refill the pantry.

The zip bags are for the meat sales that will be happening throughout the summer. Buying the meat and freezing it in marinade does a few things for you as it relates to saving time and money.

First, pre-marinating in the freezer will give you a longer window of time to soak the meat. You get the day that it freezes, plus 2-3 days of thaw time in the fridge. The meat is more tender and you avoid the risk of the meat spoiling if you were to marinade it for that long from a fresh state.

The other reason is that marinating in the freezer provides an extra layer of protection around the meat. Meat lasts longer in the freezer when it's soaked in marinade because it's got a blanket of sauce that protects it from freezer burn. If you're like me and see your stockpile as an investment, this is one way to ensure your investment lasts longer with less waste.

If anyone asks, I'll be hanging out in the condiment aisle for the next few days filling my cart with liquid gold for my grill!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brands to Watch This Week

Dreyers/Eddys – I am thankful that the people at Dryers planned their sale this week around my empty freezer. I hate being out of ice cream! Watch for sales across the brand, with best pricing being anything under $2.50 for the faux half-gallon (1.75qts in the 1/2 gallon container).

Soda – I've almost officially sworn off the stuff, but if I was still a soda addict, this would be a good week to buy it. Lots of B1G1 type sales, .99c or less 2-litres, and free when you buy type deals come out this week. A local store to me had 12-packs for $2.25 the other day, so deep soda discounts are still possible, and they do crop up this time of year. Coke is usually the big forerunner during the Memorial Day holiday sales.

Conagra – This family of brands includes lots of "outdoor" foods like BBQ sauce, Hunts ketchup, Snack Pack pudding, pork and beans, mustard and more. Watch for 10 for $10 type sales, and for the ketchup, there were coupons just out in Sunday's inserts, which would bring these down under $1.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Falling Prices

Paper/Picnic products – With camping season right around the corner, and Memorial Day BBQ's in a few weeks, paper plates, plastic ware, napkins, and paper cups will be on sale. As a rule, the best deals are going to be store branded items. But with coupons, you should also be able to save on brands like Dixie, Solo, and Vanity Fair.

Spring Greens
– New crop broccoli, lettuce, spinach, and other salad greens will be on sale. Broccoli under .75c per pound is going to be a good deal, and assorted lettuce and spinach under $1 a pound will be worth buying. If you're going to by broccoli to freeze for later, don't forget to blanch it before freezing.

Pork Ribs – Lots of stores will put pork "country style" ribs out this time of year. These are easy to cook and can be a cheap alternative to beef. Prices between $1.49 to $1.79 per pound will make these a good deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!