Simplify

A group of my friends pick a word every year to be their general theme...my little word for 2010 was "simplify".

Here is the funny...I have been a little off target. This past week I have overloaded my calendar to almost the point of insanity! In one week I had: 3 Tupperware Parties, a Tupperware Meeting, my big sister and her hubby in town for a visit, my husband's uncle and his wife for a visit, a garage sale with my mother, things for Dasha to do and places for her to go, Sarah's family birthday party, classes and activities for Sarah and more!

Not exactly simple, LOL!

I love the sermons from my head pastor at our church...in the weekly bulletin that comes to our house he had a great message that has made me look closer at my calendar and get back on track. He always seems to hit the right topic, and just when I need it! Here is his message, I hope it works for you too - enjoy! (And yes, we are going to church today, LOL)


Summertime, and the living is easy. That is true for some people, but for others, the living is hectic. There is almost a desperate attempt, for some adults and their children to pack 12 months of living into ninety days.

A year ago, I met with a couple who planned to get married in September. I said, “I haven’t seen you in church lately.” The woman pulled out her calendar and pointed to the schedule -- 12 weekends in a row they were out-of-town. “We have so many people to see.” I felt tired just looking at their schedule.

What I remember best about summers when I was a kid was doing nothing. I read, played pick-up games of ball, went swimming, lay in front of my house and counted cars, and tried my best to avoid pulling weeds in the garden.

Doing nothing seems to be a lost art for lots of kids today. They are programmed all summer long. They go from one planned activity to another, with little chance to count cars, or its equivalent.

Many families do a lot of traveling in the summer. I also traveled, though I seldom left town. Most of my adventures started at the library. I remember going to China one summer, as I read a book entitled, Shake Hands With the Dragon. I also “visited” the far west of the U.S., Alaska, Israel and Brooklyn. Why Brooklyn? That was the location of most of the John R. Tunis stories, including Fielder From Nowhere, which followed the Brooklyn Dodgers.

If I were a boy in 2010 I certainly would not turn down an opportunity to travel, or to attend basketball and baseball camps. Each of these experiences will enrich the lives of the participants, but down-time can also be enriching.

One of the purposes of summer is to provide a Sabbath for you and your children. Traditionally there are two aspects to Sabbath observance: rest and worship.

Summer is a wonderful time for parents and children to sit quietly together in church. Parents can model worship behavior – praying, singing and being attentive. In addition to the three morning services in English on Sunday, please remember the very informal Saturday night service. It is held on the lower level in the Pentecost Room, where there are only six rows of chairs.

I hope you have a great summer, and “See you in church!”
Pastor Bill White

Comments

  1. I really like what your Pastor said. That is something that a lot of families don't really do anymore. My idea of relaxing is, just staying home for once, and not having a busy day, just crafting, baking whatever. My cousin Emma, who is 11, my Aunt has the poor girl running all over the countryside to keep her busy. It's kinda sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! Somehow, we ended up doing three different activites today -- ugh! We are slowly "downsizing" our calendar
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!