Kid's Birthday Parties

There is no question that it is a special event when you have a munchkin - the birthday party! A theme, invitations, guest list, cake, games and more are certainly standard elements. One thing that I find disturbing: a lot of parents take the party "out". Chucky Cheese, Gymfinity, etc are not only pretty darned expensive per child, it takes a lot of the cool memories out of the mix!

If your little one is like mine, they get a kick out of helping plan the event, right down to the goody bags. My sister gave me a couple of neat books:

The Penny Whistle Party Planner by Meredith Brokaw & Annie Gilbar and Birthday Parties by Vicki Lansky. Both books are great - there are a lot of great DIY ideas in them for a fun event!

Considering I have Sarah's next two birthday parties planned out, I have no urgent need to research them but I know you are curious as to what is up my sleeve: I keep my eyes open all year long for bargains and deals.

When she turned 3 it was a "Fishy Party, when she turned 4 it was the "Puppy Party"

The next birthday party will be a "Princess Party" for her and 11 of her friends. This all started with the Crayola paper crowns I found in a Michael's Craft Store clearance bin. Packs of 12 white "Burger King" type crowns for $1.50 that are just awaiting some little hand to color and stick fancy gems to! Now, I had a theme.
=)
At A clearance bin at JoAnn Fabrics, I found Princess Party invites packs of eight for $.25 and yes, I could have made my own, but how could I beat the price? Add the fake Barbie Dolls that I found for $.25 each (new in packaging) and the fake "bling" rings that I got off tables at Tupperware trainings and a pretty decent party is shaping up! I have their activity, take home gift, and have been adding feather boas to round out their outfits ($.50 or less each at garage sales) and shall use my Cricut Cake to make a Castle Cake. I did see one at HyVee but it came with a price tag of (get this...)

$64 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was $64 for a round, 2 layer cake that had some plastic toys stuck in it!
Not including the cake, I have spent $7 so far - and will splurge for the rest of the boas ($1 each at the craft store) if I have to. There is NO WAY I would pay that much for a cake!

OK - when she turns 6, it will be a polka dot party!
I will get white Tshirts on clearance, fabric paint and use my round stamps for them to decorate the shirts. I have been collecting the 9x12 metallic bubble mailing envelopes that have a Velcro closure (occasionally in the $1 bins at Target) and will use polka dot ribbon to make handles for them - they turn into purses that will have Necco Wafers, Old fashioned Dot candy and what ever else I come up with over the next 22 months.
=)

For the year after that, we will pour over the books to see what we can come up with, LOL!

Do you have any fun, childhood memories of birthday parties or have you done something cool for your kid? Please share your ideas as I will need one in a few years, LOL!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!