New Diabetes News

Both my mother and mother in law have diabetes so I try to keep current on all the available information. I even sat in on the classes with my mother, who is now diet controlled. I am a big girl, but keep an eye on what my Mom deals with, so I can make sure that I don't get the same thing!

The free magazine from the Pharmacy department at Walgreen's, called "diabetes and you", had a very interesting article in it. (summer copy) It says what we eat may be the key, more so than the risk facto of being overweight or inactive!

The paragraph I found the most interesting is:
The researchers who did the study found that people in these two groups who ate a lot of fats, meats, eggs and refined grains, had a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The study also showed that vegetables help protect some people from getting type 2 diabetes. Diets rich in fruit, milk and yogurt were found to be very helpful, especially in women.

The first thing that came to my mine was "I TOLD my husband that eating like he does puts him in a high risk category all of his own!"

Then I took a look at what *I* eat: Fruits, Veggies, yogurt every day, whole grain wheat bread, brown rice, skim milk, wheat pasta, etc. (whew!) I do some fats, but usually the healthier ones like olive oil, etc. I also tend to stick with baked or broiled instead of the nasty fried variety. Instead of the red or process meats that they were saying were evil, I do poultry and fish more often. I try to eat the "rainbow" of colors in the produce world, and often try veggies in different ways instead of the same old presentation time after time. I know that WHITE is a bad word in the world of food and try to avoid it...

Don't get me wrong, I have been known to indulge in the chocolate chip cookies that a friend makes, or have a second bread stick if I am having a salad at Olive Garden...I really think moderation is the key.

I have a "mini me" in the house, which means that Sarah is on the same path that I follow...her snack box in the fridge has everything from homemade granola to string cheese and she knows that she can have anything in there. (and occasionally reminds me that her choices are getting low...LOL!) She is empowered to make her own choices, but I have narrowed the field of selection down for her.

It's not just for diabetes, the same diet can help prevent cancers, and more! Take a look at what you keep on hand in your home. The old saying is right: you ARE what you eat! Why be a pile of processed crap when you can make simple changes to change your future. You can save a LOT of money by staying healthy: less doctor visits, less medications, longer lifespan, and more. We can't cheat death but we sure have the power to post-phone it a while.
:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!