DIY Paint Job

It's time for another home repair job! This has bugged me since we bought this housed almost 17 years ago - the BBBAAADDD sponge painting job that the previous owners did on the stairwell to the basement!

1) They never masked/taped anything off
2) They used a square kitchen sponge
3) Instead of 2 shades of the same color family, they did a bright white on the blue background
4) They over shot their paint on the dark ceiling

Just check out these photos:



This job will be in stages also, but the timing is PERFECT as the weather is finally cooling down a bit and the house windows can be open to help with that "new paint smell" that is a tad overpowering.

Remember all of that paint I got for $2 a gallon? This is one of the main targets that I had in mind. I also got new rollers for this job and have a little prep work to do before I start:
**On the right, you can see the railing that I will have to remove.
**On the left, you can't see the 6 peg coat rack that I have to remove.
**I have to remove light switch plates
**I have to tape off the trim and baseboards
**I have to prep the walls (fill in holes, etc)

Since there is no over head light on the landing and it can be a tad dark, I have decided to paint that dark ceiling beige too. It's not fantastic quality wood that I will be covering up, but it should make enough of a difference to brighten it up considerably.

I also need to measure that white door and hit the "ReStore" for an oakish, solid core door to help keep the cold air from the garage out a bit better in winter. (More on the ReStore another time...)

SO, I have a little prep work to get to - I will show it all done, before I start with the painting...remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and I can guarantee you that my stairwell won't be done that fast either!
=)

What is next on YOUR DIY list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!