Is it Healthy?

I got a GREAT question from someone who read one post on my blog this week - here is what my AWESOME bud said:

Ok girl, you know I love you but I have to say this.....
When I was doing this couponing thing I found that I was buying all junk and going to your blog you don't have to much healthy stuff either from your last shopping spree. Not that I eat healthy all the time because I don't but what I do know is that by having all the "junk" in the house, I ate it all. I had to stop.
Cleaning supplies and things like that are what I like to save money on. You cant find to many coupons for veggies, fish, chicken and things like that and that is what I need to force myself to eat.

Here was my reply:

Of course I love you!

You can't go off of my one day - I work a stock pile system
;)
Two weeks ago I got 10 bricks of assorted cheeses and 22 bottles of fruit/veggie juice...kind of a strange weekly list!

You CAN find coupons for veggies - Frozen all the time and occasionally fresh with "meal deals" or just outright like I got free avacados that day...and there are coupons out there for meat (Brakebush chicken, or what they call catalina's - print outs from your register good for $X off your next order, etc that has ground beef, etc.)

I have to bake cookies for a school related event, that is why I have 10 packs of the Nestle's ready-to-bake on that transaction - I can't make 400 cookies for $5... Campbell's Select soups are pretty healthy, and 8 boxes of cereal are already in the food pantry box for church - I kept the corn flakes and raisin bran! My kid brother likes sweets but lives alone - those Sweet Moments are for him...we will surprise him when we go out to lunch on Saturday.

Dear Hubby is my problem.
I drink soymilk - he refuses to.
I like whole grain wheat bread (think brownberry) and he likes white bread.
He likes canned crap for his lunchpail at work when he is working certain stations that he can just heat and eat.

Usually I take more time on my blog post to say what goes where -- I was just lazy that day and didn't fill in all of the blanks
:)

Those of you that have been following along see what I do - and how I work the raw ingredients into real meals...know my daughter calls the Yoplait Delites Yogurt "chocolate raspberry pudding" and occasionally asks for "half and half" - which is half cow milk and half vanilla soy milk, LOL!

This IS an important topic to cover - as there are a LOT of coupons out there for the RTE (ready to eat) meals that are high in sodium, all the sweets/juices with high fructose corn syrup and so many things with tons of chemicals and preservatives!

You can get a lot of GOOD food too - dairy, meat, veggies, low carb or whole wheat pastas, grains and more...you just have to know your store cycles and work the deals!

I WELCOME questions and comments - if you ever have any, just fire away!
=)

Comments

  1. This question could have come from my hubby! ;)

    Sometimes with 3 kiddos, I just can't get to the grocery store when it's coupon day and I send him. He does pretty good for the most part, but he always tells me that I buy stuff that I shouldn't or don't really need. It's somewhat true, but it's hard to pass up free and cheap. It's a balance of finding the right bargains, and then eating healthy.

    I still am struggling with prices on fruits and veggies ... my kids eat an outrageous amount of fruit.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruit is such a treat with the natural sugar...it's hard to keep within the guidelines and not give them too much. Ms Sarah would eat 3# of grapes in one sitting if I would let her.
    ;)

    Try options like frozen fruit, making smoothies, fruit muffins, fruit/veggie juices and seasonal "different" fruits...always give them a choice of which they want out of the two selections you are offering (it empowers them, LOL) and you can help steer their fruit consumption to a slightly more economical result.

    Making banana bread or muffins with prune puree (think babyfood) and mashed bananas as a family event makes it a lot more appealing to enjoy as a fruit choice - they KNOW it is in there as you remind them that they helped mash the bananas with the forks...

    Keep in mind that a lot of the processed stuff is better than it was - they are working whole grains into it, have gone no transfats, and are working out the hugh fructose corn syrups...everything in moderation! Spagettios for one meal in a week is OK. For lunch every day? Not so much...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!