Creative Shopping

Who doesn't love hitting the stores after a holiday for seasonal items that are then marked down to 50% off, 75% off or even 90% off as they are trying to free up shelf space for the NEXT holiday?

I hit the ShopKo store today to pick up some Halloween clearance...not candy, but a few other things.

First of all, we are having a "Princess" birthday party next summer -- and Ariel is her favorite princess. I can't see spending $29.99-39.99 for a princess dress up outfit but a mermaid Halloween costume at 90% off makes it a STEAL! The costume you see pictured cost me $3.99 today and should be a perfect fit in about 6 months.

It is the last thing I wanted for her party - and will share more on that another time.

Here is the other big score. Oreos. (thanks to my friend Kelley for the tip!)

Instead of candy, they have fun things like pretzel, teddy grahams and mini oreos bagged up for the little tick or treaters. A bag of 18 mini packs was on sale for $5.99 and not a huge bargain. The signs said 75% off and that $1.49 becomes a pretty good deal as it's now less than ten cents a portion for a snack or to tuck into a lunch.

I put 8 bags into my cart.

They rang up 90% off!
$.59 is AWESOME for those, that is $.33 a serving off -- with a price drop now to just three cents a serving! WHO CARES if they are in orange bags with oak leaves on them?

SO - here is today's haul:
Costume $3.99
8 bags mini Oreos $4.72 (perfect for my hubby's lunches!)
3 random decor items for next year $4.47 (1.49 x 3)
grand total - $13.65 and that includes tax.

=)

I will add the $4.72 to my food total...but think I did pretty darned well!

Like snack pack type things?
Keep your eyes open to unique clearance deals after Christmas and beyond! Just off the top of my head, I know I got GREAT deals on cashews at Target last year - in a pretty jar for 90% off!

Happy Shopping~!

Comments

  1. We picked up three costumes for my niece, one will be perfect for Halloween next year, and the other two we are letting her have for dress up. Didn't get as great of a deal, but ended up only paying $5 for each $20 costume, so I thought that was pretty good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a good deal Vanessa!
    I cringed when I heard a friend of mine did a matching costume with her two kids and spent over $60 for the three of them...

    I have a "costume" box that is full of garage sale scores and each item was $1 or less - I have Ms Sarah pick out of it...our $.50 angel costume really got a lot of milage this year, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!