Share

www.sharewi.org

I have a few people who have asked why I haven't talked about this program.

Easy. I do better at the grocery store!

The concept of the plan is great - it's a buying club basically where everyone gets at least one share a month of food for $25. By buying in bulk, everyone gets a discount on the prices. You preorder and prepay for the following month

Let's look at what is on the current order form for this month (for December delivery)

Split chicken breast, lemon herb crusted salmon, pork tenderloin, chicken breast strips, pre cooked brats, deli shaved roast beef, bulk pork sausage, baked beans, chicken rice mix, 8 inch apple pie, 1 can of fruit cocktail and nine pounds of assorted fruit and veggies. All of this for $25.

Let's break it down by my standards.

The pack has seven pounds of assorted meat. My target price is $1.99 a pound or less so that would be approx $14 for the meat (max). I would get the baked beans, fruit cocktail and rice free (chicken flavored rice mix recipe at the end of the post). The pies will be on sale for approx $2 in a week so we are up to $16. That gives me $9 for 9 pounds of veggies...which is about twice the price I pay. You can get some REALLY great produce deals at Aldi's and I rarely shop there as it is out of my way.

I should be able to get the same approx package for $20 or less, and I get to pick out my brands.

Now let's look at their Thanksgiving package for $25:

Includes: 12-14 lb. Whole Turkey, Stuffing Mix, Cranberry Sauce, 8" Pre-Baked Pumpkin Pie, PLUS a Deluxe Produce Assortment with at least 7 kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables. Serves 6!

Turkey is on sale for $.64 a pound right now and will go a little lower yet. As of right now, that bird would cost about $8 and the stuffing and cranberries would be free. $2 for the pie and we now have $15 for 7 different kinds of veggies...where i am sure you would see things like onion, celery, carrot in the blend for less than $1 per package value. Certainly not a great deal here.

If you are a very busy person, it might be worth your time than those few extra dollars to have someone shop for you...however, one package a month would make someone like me lost $50 to $100 a year, two packages would double that cost which is more than an entire month's grocery budget for me!

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, I would love to hear YOUR thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!