Pasties

Winter always makes me crave these - they are like pot roast in a pie shell. When I had the restaurant, Thursday used to be pasty day. We would make a ton of these and sell out pretty quickly -people even drove up from Chicago for a few dozen to take back and enjoy.

I stage my prep for this as they can be labor intensive...but they are SOOOO worth it! You can pre dice your carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, etc and cover with water to freeze. Just thaw out when you are ready to assemble.

This is very easy to make a double or triple batch of,
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do - I still can't figure out if I like them better with gravy or ketchup.

Diced Veggies:
1# carrots
2.5 # potatoes
1/2 rutabaga
1 medium onion

Add:
3# ground sirloin
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Mix all together in a large bowl.

Seasoning- stir together:
1/2 cup warm water
2 TBSP Legout Au Jus Base
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder

Pour over items in large bowl. Sift over that 1/3 cup flour, 1 Tbsp pepper and 1/3 cup sugar. Then get in there with your hands and really blend it together.

Make pie crust -- but add a little more flour and water -- overwork the dough (I let it go for a bit in my kitchen aid).

Roll out 9" circles...place 1 Cup filling in, fold over dough and crimp edges. Place on baking sheet, cut vent slits in the top. Scramble 2 eggs with 1/4 water and use that "egg wash" to paint the pies.

Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown. Yield about 15.
They freeze beautifully if you wrap them individually and can be zapped in the microwave to serve.

Comments

  1. I have nominated you for a blog award. Go to http://recipesncoupons.blogspot.com for details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dannelle, what is Legout Au Jus base? Is it powdered, or like a concentrate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legout is the name brand, and it is more like a paste in it's plastic jar. I just has a nice blend of flavors, compared to other brands.
    =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!