A GREAT investment!

I am sure you have seen the infomercials...they have been on for a few years now. I didn't pick up a phone and dial, but got the same system, a few years earlier when it was sold through USBourne Books consultants.

What am I talking about?

Your Baby Can Read.

The simple program that uses videos and flash cards to teach a child to understand the concept of the written word and learn to read. It works!

I didn't buy all the extras, I just got the DVDs and basic slider cards that came with with it...I figured, that I could make my own flash cards with the computer and put clip art on the back, so that is what I did.

We watched the DVD series...and had our flash cards everywhere! If we were at a restaurant waiting for our meal to come, we did flash cards. If we were at the dentist office waiting to get in, we did flash cards. I added more and more cards to match the DVDs and then picked a few out of the teacher supply section of the local dollar store.

She nailed them.

Then we got the Dick and Jane primers at the library -- we sailed through them all in a month. Next came basic Dr Seuss books and some "sight word" books.

She has learned to sound out words phonetically, and can work her way through books designed for first and second graders.

I know a lot of people debate if this is something you should really do with your child, but I will tell you one thing. Her vocabulary is easily 5x that of a child her age - anyone who talks to her is simply amazed!

I can't reccomend this program enough - here is a video clip of her reading through some books I just dug out of a pile she hasn't seen before...keep in mind she is only 4, but has been reading for two years.

Comments

  1. No video here either, but that is really cool! I've always wanted to meet someone who really knew if they worked or not. Thanks for the review/info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr..... I can't get the video to work!!!

    I will try another way, sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!