Reader Question: Out Of Pocket Accountability

Another GREAT question from a reader:

Why don't you consider the $10.48 as an expense? (From the summary of my Shopping trip last Wednesday) It's money you wont see again and you did spend it? I'm trying to figure out a realistic budget for my family and this would help me out.

Occasionally, I will buy a $15 GC with my five $2 items to make my $25 threshold for the coupon doubling to be engaged. Five $1 coupons would be doubled, resulting in FREE food along with that $15 Gift Card.

That $15 came out of my $100 monthly total and has to be accounted for as it is now $15 less than I had in my monthly envelope of $100.

You will see me use that $15 Gift Card in the following transactions, to pay for my purchases, but I won't deduct it two times.

There are bloggers out there that NEVER count that Gift Card purchase in their totals -- and, if they are buying them, they should. Those gift cards are like the cereal deal milk and egg vouchers: It's deduction is accounted for on the NEXT visit.

That particular money came off a $20 gift card that I didn't buy - I won it off someone's blog! So it won't be in my monthly totals
:)
I hope that answers things for you clearly.


Happy Shopping!
=)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!