Relief.

I found out today that I do NOT have breast cancer.

I have had a long few weeks: A routine mammogram that came back with a problem, another - more localized mammogram, an ultrasound and a biopsy. The end result, a small lump with no cancer.
=)

As hard as that is to deal with, and rationalize, and wait...that wasn't the bad part for me.

My Grandmother died of breast cancer, many years before I was born, when my mother was just four years old.

Guess how old Ms Sarah is?

Yup. Four.

The thoughts racing through my head of a sweet little girl not having her momma anymore and her life totally turning upside down...(my mom) and then, thinking "what if" history was going to repeat itself again in our family.....

I didn't sleep much for the last few weeks - or talk to my mom. (sigh).

I would think "I want my Mommy..." and realize that she never had that option as she grew up, to just pick up the phone and ask what ingredient was missing in the recipe she was making, or how to get a certain stain out...or to talk about the big stuff.

I also didn't want to "worry" my Mom as she had been through this on the other end...which I know is silly, but she has been through enough in her life to not add more to it.

My words to you:
If you are over 40 and haven't gotten at least a baseline mammogram yet - make the call NOW. Things have come a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG way in the 60 years since my grandmother died - with all of the technology and medicine available. Don't put it off and make someone else wish that they could still talk to their Mommy.

Hugs!

Comments

  1. My mother had a cyst a few years ago and i still remember the song that was playing on the radio when she called to tell me. (Lifehouse...You and me all of the people) Thank you for posting something so personal. I am happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!