School Fundraisers

This is a double edged sword for me... as a Tupperware Consultant, I promote our program to help groups make money. As a parent of a school age child, I am driven nuts by them being sent home every three weeks.

WHAT drives me nuts?

The "Spaghetti at the Wall" philosophy where a school will do a LOT of fund raisers, hoping to eventually hit a hot button on everyone, and cash in.

The one they sent home today is asking kids (or their parents) to sell candy for $16 a pound (yes, A POUND) to help the school raise funds. They have HUGE incentives like a class bounce house party to what class raises the most money...which tells us right away that their stuff is WAY over priced (like we couldn't tell?!)

Half the parents in my Ms Sarah's class pitched the packets instantly.

Now, enter the TW consultant's thoughts:

1) NO company does well when you have to compete with a lot of other fund raisers, the school comes out OK as they get money regardless but people get tired of yet another flier to take home and sell stuff.

2) Selling things like candy at $16/# is a rip off. It is similar to buying a Snicker's Bar for $8 at the grocery store - would you pay that>? Scholastic Books has a huge sale before Christmas every year and we can get the SAME books for 90% off by going...instead of ordering them through the fliers. Add the fact that Garage Sale Season is almost here where you can score good kid's books for $.25 each or less!

3) I have offered to do a Tupperware Fundraiser and donate my profits too - so they would net a 60% profit, and I do most of the work for them. A product with a lifetime guarantee, that helps prep them for the school lunches that are coming in the years down the road - a very "go green" philosophy!

What are your thoughts on Fund raisers?

Comments

  1. Our school district has one big fundraiser(by the PTO) right at the beginning of the year. It has lots of incentives for the kids, so the come home and say I need to sell XYZ so I can go to the party and rid in the limo. Argh!! I have 3 kids and all three come home with the same packet of info. Selling pizzas, candy, wrapping paper, gift items and the like. There is no way I'm going to hit up everyone so all three kids will sell enough for them ALL to go to the party. My solution is we don't do it at all. I find other ways to support my children's classes. I will order extra books from the book order or a GC for the teacher to pick out one for the class. The teacher's Christmas gifts are usually class room items instead of something personal. My aunt is a retired teacher, she has told me that this is much more needed and appreciated. (I do still give a more personal item at the end of the year) Towards the end of the year when those supplies everyone brought at the beginning are running low I'll ask the teacher what she needs. I'd much rather do something like this than go door to door asking friends and relatives to order some overpriced stuff that I then have to go pick up at school and deliver.

    Stepping of my soapbox now! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!