My Shopping Plan This Week

I am skipping Copps (close your dropped jaw...) this week as the sales don't really excite me and we have a VERY full fridge/freezer/pantry. Saturday, however, might be different. The new ad would let me get FREE Hot Dogs, butter for under $2 a pound and cheap hot dog buns (a BOGO offer). (Ad match ups coming soon!)

What am I going to do this week?

I am going to the bread outlet!I am craving bagels, and we need multi grain bread. Wednesday at the Village Hearth outlet in Sun Prairie = a bonus 25% discount! I will be spending about $3

I am gardening. (kind of).
My cherry tree is almost ready to harvest! Those babies will be pitted and frozen until I am ready to make jam with them. Last year, I got 18 pounds of cherries, after pitting! Not bad for a one hour - fight the mosquito's - annual effort. Seriously, the tree takes care of itself! I will be spending nothing.

I am picking organic Strawberries! We will hit JenEhr farms and eat as many as we pick (no charge for what you eat, LOL). All three of us are going to go - and fill a 42 cup Tupperware bowl. That usually runs about seven pounds - which comes to just under $20. I will prep and freeze these too - so some will be jam, some will be smoothies, some will be crepe filling. I will be spending about $20

I am hitting Penzey's Spices!
Sunday's Wisconsin State Journal had a coupon that let you get a FREE mini gift box with a $5+ purchase! ($11.99 value) I am out of white pepper and sweet paprika. I use the white pepper in my white/cream sauce and the paprika goes in the beer can chicken spice rub. I will be spending $5 or so.

I am hitting Aldi!
2 Cantaloupe, 4 Plums and 4 Peaches are on my list! I will see if there is any other fruit/veggie deals when I am there -  one of my favorite meals on a super hot day is diced cantaloupe and multi grain toast - lightly buttered. (Don't knock it until you try it...Cantaloupe is a super food and the toast is great fiber) I will be spending $5 or so.

That is it: $33ish  for the week!
(Just under half of my weekly budget for the Magazine challenge!)
I am setting myself up to make Cherry Jam, Strawberry Jam, Yuletide Jam, Strawberry Mulberry Jam
(as soon as the Mulberries are ready to shake) and my 4P Jam.
I am going to be watching sugar sales or Sure Jell sales
(I have a coupon that gets me FREE sugar WYB the SJ).

As I said before, home made jam is healthier
(no high fructose corn syrup or artificial colorings)
and cheaper (usually $.20 a jar vs the $3-4 a jar at the store).
I should have 50-60 jars of jam at the end of the season -
so that adds up to around a $200 savings!

Some of the jars will go in the holiday gift baskets -
who doesn't like a basket of yummy treats at the holidays?

Yes, I love having a stockpile!
It lets me look at shopping in a whole different way - you should try it!

What are you after this week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!