2011 Grocery Budget Review: $.89 under budget

I had a goal of $100 a month, which made it $1,200 for the year.

We are at $1,199.11.

How did we do it?
  • Working Double Coupon Days
  • Buying holiday/seasonal deals and clearance
  • Using Menard's MIR program
  • Playing the drugstore game
  • Working sales at the store for catalinas - then donating (think Cereal deals)
The first thing I talk about at my coupon class is tracking your expenses and creating a budget...it is SOOOO important to limit what you spend, so you have money for other aspects of your financial life. If you have followed my over the last two years, you can see that it IS possible to eat healthy and on a budget. It's also possible to pay it forward by getting free, or almost free, items to donate.

We have had the same budget for two years, despite the increased prices...and maintain our "perimeter of the store" philosophy. I want at least 80% of our diet to be free of processed, pre-packaged foods.

The 20% comes in from my husband, LOL -- he is doing MUCH better, but I still have an uphill battle with him. The boy simply loves his Hormel Compleats, cold cereal and hot dogs! (sigh). At least I have him on whole grain breads, crackers, pasta, etc. I WILL have to get more flaxseed and wheat germ...which I smuggle into most dishes and I am almost out. (shh......don't tell him!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!