Freezer Inventory Update Time

It's the end of the month -- time to check and update your Freezer Inventory!

There are a lot of perks to having a chest freezer: you can take better advantage of sales on things that need to be frozen, buy more meat on sale and bake larger quantities of treats for future use. It really does pay for itself when you consider how small a freezer is in a freezer/fridge combo unit.

One thing I have been asked, is "how do you know what you have in your freezer?"

Simple. I have an inventory list! At the beginning of the month, I have a complete list of what is in it. As the month progresses, I cross off what we use, and write in what we add. At the end of the month, I put a * next to the original items on the list, pull off what we used and add in what we bought to have a fresh new list for the new month.

The * tells me it is an older item and I need to try to use it first. If it doesn't get used that second month it becomes a ** item and HAS to be used the third month!

This keeps my inventory rotated, food from getting too old or "freezer burnt", and makes me seem more organized, LOL! We no longer have UFOs (unidentified frozen objects) or throw a big bag of stuff out every 6 months. Let's face it - you aren't really saving money on food if you just bring it home and let it set until you have to throw it out!

Do you know what is in YOUR Freezer right now? I challenge you to do a freezer clean out! Toss the UFOs, make a list of what you put back in and post that list on the fridge - you will thank me later
=)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!