Reader Question - I don't see you buying much meat?

I had a few readers, who recently started following, notice that I don't have meet on my weekly grocery lists... I hope this helps to explain things.
:)

Meat is one of those items that rarely has a coupon...so, what do you do?
Look for your grocery store selling cycle!

Most stores have a 6 to 8 week cycle.

What does this mean?
This week ground beef is on sale for $2.69 a pound. It normally is $3.93 a pound. If you usually eat 1# a week, you need to invest in 8 pounds at that sale price. This will save you $9.92 on ground beef.

10 is $10 in my world, LOL!
Just think of saving $80+ over 8 weeks on meat!
The next week, whole chickens might be on sale for $.79 a pound when they are normally over $2.00 You can get a whole chicken for about $2.50, cook it off and harvest the meat. This should get you 2-3 pounds of meat which tastes a LOT better than the 8oz can of chicken for $3.00
**Just think of this: by using the sale pricing on whole chicken and cooking it off, that means the same amount of canned chicken would cost you $18 - you save $15!! (per chicken this week!!)

We like chicken for tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, chicken chili, chicken ala king over biscuits and more so we need to buy at least 8 chickens when they are on sale.

8 chickens x $15 savings is $120 savings over the 8 weeks that we add to the $80 you saved on ground beef. See how this adds up? 2 weeks of buying meat on sale has saved you $200 so far and we haven't seen pork, turkey, ham or beef roasts go on sale yet!
If you are not keen on this -- just keep this rule in mind...4-3-2-1
  • $4 or less for frozen seafood and cold cuts
  • $3 or less for beef roasts and bacon
  • $2 or less for pork, ground meats, ham and boneless skinless chicken
  • $1 of less for whole chicken, ground turkey, ground chicken or ground turkey
Now, there are weeks that I might not buy ANY meat, and that is for one simple fact: I have over 200# of meat in my chest freezer!
 
I have:
2 pot roasts, 1 turkey, 3 whole chickens, 10# hamburger gravel, 30# ground beef, 20# ground turkey, 25# ground chicken, 2# salmon, 1# scallops, 2# tilapia,  5# bacon, 2# pork chops, 1 pork roast, 10# ham,10 # boneless skinless chicken, 2# Italian Sausage, 8# lil smokies, 1# pepperoni, 2# sliced summer sausage, 5# ground sirloin for pasties, 10# brats, 5# hot dogs, 8# split breasts, 5# drumsticks, 5# steaks. I also have about 30 shredded chicken meals ready to go.
 
Seriously, I have PLENTY to work with right now and can turn down a sale of the week for a while, unless I see something FREE or nearly FREE that I can donate to my church's food pantry.
:)
Happy shopping!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Recipe #21 - Butter Rich Spritz

Chili Dog Casserole

Forget The Resolutions Giveaway Hop!